Displacement: 3,781 cc
Horsepower: 220 bhp @ 5,500 rpm
Engine Torque: 240 lb ft @ 4,500 rpm
Top Speed: 126 mph
0 - 60 mph: 7.3 seconds
click on image to enlarge
Launched in 1957, the XK150 was the last of the classic XK series and thus the most refined and advanced. It was, for instance, the first production car to feature four-wheel, power assisted, disc brakes. The body was considerably revised also, by comparison to its predecessors, incorporating even greater interior space, wraparound front & rear windshields and a higher, more modern, coachline.
Though originally fitted with the 3.4 litre XK engine, carried over from the XK140, in late 1959 the displacement was increased by 400cc in an effort to keep up with spiraling American production car horsepower figures (the U.S. was their most valuable market) and these 3.8 versions have become the most sought after of the 150s.
Offered here, is a two-owner, 3.8 litre, black plate California car with documentation from new. Finished in its original shade of Carmen Red, the body is wonderfully straight and completely rust-free. The re-trimmed black leather interior is excellent and the soft top and headliner are equally good.
Mechanically, it is superb. The matching numbers engine fires instantly and settles quickly to a smooth idle. On the road, the torque-y straight six, effortlessly delivers plenty of silken power, whilst emitting a mellifluous burble from the stainless steel exhaust. The original Borg Warner transmission has been replaced with the far stronger and more sportive Getrag five-speed unit (though the original transmission does come with the car), making shifting a joy and greatly increasing its freeway cruising capabilities.
As one of the very last XKs built, this gorgeous and very useable classic would be perfectly suited to any collection or classic rally enthusiast.